- Phone: 713.466.6102
- Mailing Address: 16518 Jersey Drive Houston Texas 77040
Clark and Bessie Henry owned the F & M Jersey Ranch, a popular jersey cattle ranch and dairy in Harris County, Texas. The ranch developed a reputation for its jersey cattle and 5 cent ice cream parlor. Mr. and Mrs. Henry had a vision of creating a city on their ranch. By the fall of 1954, the first houses were built on part of the large Jersey Ranch. The community was appropriately named Jersey Village.
As the community of Jersey Village grew, so did its need for a church. Mr. Gabriel Fransee, a Jersey Village resident, suggested to several local families that they have a sunrise Easter service on the shore of Jersey Village Lake. On April 10, 1955 the 30 residents of Jersey Village gathered on the west bank of the lake to worship the resurrection of Jesus. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson hosted the service in their backyard and afterwards invited their neighbors to enjoy donuts and coffee in their home. It wasn’t long before the small talk turned to a unified conviction to create a church for Jersey Village. On April 28, Mr. Clark Henry (owner of the F & M Jersey Ranch) and Mr. Leroy Kennedy donated a church site and a lakeside lot for a parsonage.
The first service was held in the home of Clark Henry on May 1, 1955. Dr. Parker preached, Gabriel Fransee led the worship, and Mrs. Hardilek played the piano. The 60 attendees met in the Henry ranch house and were formally recognized by the Union Baptist Association as Jersey Village Baptist Church on May 22, 1955 with 42 charter members.
On November 10, 1955, Jersey Village Baptist Church called its first pastor, Dr. E.E. Powley. On December 21, still under Dr. Powley’s full time leadership, Jersey Village Baptist voted to change its name to First Baptist Jersey Village. Under Dr. Powley’s tenure, the church began to organize Sunday School classes and continued to reach out to new members of the growing community. On August 19, 1956, Jersey Village Baptist held a ground breaking service to build its first sanctuary (Building A) on its donated land. On November 28, 1956, 74 people attended the first church service in the new building.